^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

KINGS NYMPTON IN WHITES DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

"KING'S NYMPTON is an old irregularly built village of thatched houses, on a bold eminence overlooking the Taw valley, 3½ miles N. by W. of Chulmleigh, and 5½ miles S.S.W. of South Molton. Its parish contains 777 inhabitants and 5539 acres of land, including many scattered houses, 91A. of orchards, 540A. of woods, and about 900A. of moor and coarse pasture land, which has been brought into cultivation during the last ten years.

 

The manor was anciently part of the royal demesne, and was given by Henry III. to Roger le Zouch. It afterwards passed successively to the Cornwall, Pollard, Northcote, and Buller families. It was purchased of the latter, about 12 years ago, by the present owner, James Tanner, Esq., of King's Nympton Park, a handsome and pleasant seat on the east bank of the small river Mole, near its confluence with the River Taw. The mansion stands on a commanding eminence, in a large and well-wooded park, and was built by the late James Buller, Esq., who died in 1765. The Park was enclosed and the original mansion erected in the reign of Henry VII, by Sir Lewis Pollard. The present owner has greatly improved the house and grounds, and built a new bridge over the Mole. He owns the greater part of the parish, and has brought much of the moor land into fine cultivation. Mrs. Byne has a manor here, formerly belonging to the Brown and Melhuish families; and part of the parish belongs to several smaller owners.

 

St James' Church  in 2017

St James Church in 2017

© Richard J.Brine

The old wooden spire has been covered with copper tiles at a cost of over £100,000 and looks magnificent even on a dull day

 

The Church (St. James,) is a fine ancient structure, with a tower, crowned by a tall wooden spire, which was covered with lead in 1833, at the cost of £200. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £315, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. F. A. Savile, who has a thatched residence and 96A. 1R. 18P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £462. 19s. 10d. The Bible Christians have a small chapel here. The Charity School, for 40 boys and 20 girls, was long supported by the late John Buller, Esq., who endowed it with £500, three per cent. consols. The poor parishioners have the interest of £50 left by Richard Hele, in 1759, and of £25 left by various donors. They have also the dividends of £152. 7s 7d. three per cent stock, purchased with £100 left by Abraham Tossel, in 1773. A poor widow of this parish has 40s. a year from Mrs. Pyncombe's charity."

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page