When Sir Lawrence Palk died in 1813 it was Henry Beeke that his son Lawrence Vaughan Palk turned to for advice in managing the Torwood Estate. His first project for Palk land saw the building of five new houses in Park Place, where he decided to take up residence himself.
It was essential to get the co-operation of the other great landowning family, the Carys, to free up land for development in Torquay. Beeke sought and obtained the assistance of William Kitson, land agent for the Cary Estate and Harveys, a firm of builders, in developing the central area of the town along the course of the River Flete.
Perhaps the most prominent development he was involved in was that of The Terrace. Perched on the hillside above the harbour, it has splendid views across to Berry Head.