There is one reported instance of the landlord of the Coombe Cellars taking out a court order against a group of lightermen who called at the inn at 4 o’clock in the morning and refused to leave until he had opened up!
A register of 1795 shows that 10 barges were working the Teign Estuary between Teignbridge and Teignmouth of which 8 were owned by James Templer and named as follows; George, James and Mary, Compton Castle, Tor Abbey, Lady Clifford, Lord Courtenay Lovely May and Neighbour Hail.
James Templer died aged 65 on 21st June 1813 at Bellamarsh after imbibing an excess of medicinal water. Bellamarsh was once famous for its chalybeate spring, but whether the medicinal water referred to was the spring water or something stronger, we are left to guess at.
His heir, George Templer, was a cultured man educated in the classics. A keen huntsman and Master of the South Devon Foxhounds, he is reputed to have had a pet monkey which he kitted out in hunting gear and took with him when he rode to hounds. He also founded the Teignbridge Cricket Club which played near Teignbridge on the site of what is now the East Golds clay works.