^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

KINGSTON  IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Old buildings forming one side of the Dolphin Inn

Old buildings forming one side of the Dolphin Inn

© Richard J. Brine

Kingston, a small scattered village, 3½ miles S.S.W of Modbury, has in its parish 529 souls and 2233 acres of land, extending westward to the Erme estuary and southward to Bigbury Bay.

 

The manor of Kingston belongs to Richard Julian Esq. and that of Scobbescombe to T. Bulteel Esq. The Wise family own Langston and Wonwell and the Duke of Somerset and a few smaller owners have estates here. The Church is a small ancient structure, and the living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ermington*. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel.

 

* The church of St James the Less at Kingston was a daughter Church of Ermington until the 20th century when it was transferred to the Parish of Ringmore.

 

RESIDENTS

Crimp, Mr. William

Martin, Joseph, cider dealer

Ponsford, John, victualler, Britannia Inn

Prout, John, miller, Cling Mill

Ryder, John,

Trigg, James, parish clerk

Wise, Arthur, Esq. , Langton

BLACKSMITHS

King, James

Tollack, William

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS

Elias Edgecombe

William Pearce

CARPENTERS

Samuel Hackworthy

Thomas Hackworthy

FARMERS

Brooking Lewis

Brooking, William

Crimp, Samuel

Crocker, Richard

Dingle, Joseph

Lakeman, Richard

Langworthy, Edwin

Loy, Richard, Wonwell

Martin. Joseph, Tor

Pearce, Richard

Ryder, John

Ryder, Henry, Tor

Sparrow, John

Stidson, James

Stidson, William

Triggs, Philip

Walker, William

White, Jane

Willson, Robert

Worth, William

Wyatt, Francis

MASONS

Hackworthy, George

Lee, James

Triggs, James

TAILORS

Hackworthy, William

Tippett, William

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page