|KNOWSTONE IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850
Knowstone, a pleasant village ona bold eminence, encompassed by lofty hills, 9 miles east of South Molton, has in its parish 578 souls and 4994 acres of land, including 1219 acres of common and 219 acres of moorland; the village of East Knowstone about a mile from the church; the hamlet of Rochill and many scattered houses, some of them among the high moorlands, near the source of the River Yeo.
Sir Robert George Throckmorton, bart, is lord of the manor and owner of the manor house called Knowstone Beaple, which was so called from its ancient owners, and was long a seat of the Pollards. J. Handford Esq. , Mr Joseph Hill and many smaller owners have estates in the parish. Sir John Berry, an eminent naval officer in the reign of Charles II was born here at the vicarage.
Beaple's Moor, Knowstone
Courtesy of Wikimedia
*The church (St Peter) is a small ancient structure with a tower and three bells and was repaired four years ago. The rectory was appropriated to Hartland Abbey but the great tithes have been sold to the landowners.The vicarage with that of Molland annexed to it, is in the patronage of Sir R. G.Throckmorton and incumbency of the Rev. John Froude MA of East Anstey. The Rev. R. Pole of Templeton is the curate with the thatched vicarage house being let to a farmer.
St Peter's church, Knowstone
© Richard J. Brine
* This paragraph was written in 1850. For more up-to-date information, Andrew Jones, the current priest-in-charge, writes:
For centuries, Knowstone and Molland formed one united benefice ,with the parish priest living at Knowstone. In 1915, the two parishes became separate benefices. A separate vicarage was built at Molland. In the late 1970s, the present large benefice (the Oakmoor group) brought Molland and Knowstone back together again. The priest now lives at Bishops Nympton. All the other rectories and vicarages, including Knowstone's,, have been sold.
Jacob Bucknell, maltster and victualler, the Fox and Hounds
Charles Newell Catcliffe, surgeon
William Follett.victualler, the William IV
Philip and James Hodge, carpenters
The Mosses M and E Moore, Estacott
John Snow, corn miller
Thomas Snow, the Mason's Arms
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Thomas Bray, East Kidland
William Bray, Ford
John Buckingham, Oulaborough
John Bucknell, Beaple Barton
George & Richard Courtenay, Wadham
William Fisher, Hill
William Follett, Brownsford and Indy Lake
Joseph Hill, gentleman, Moortown. Thomas Hill, Hapson
John Mogford, Shapcote
Robert Stone, Weston
Wlizabeth Tarr, Whitemoor
Richard Thorne, Kents
William Woodbury, West Kidland