Landkey is a village and parish, 2½ miles E.S.E of Barnstaple, containing 774 souls and 3510 acres of land. The trustees of the late Lord Rolle are lords of one manor, and the Duke of Bedford owns the other, which was anciently held by the Beaples and afterwards by the Lorings, but part of the parish belongs to Miss Budd and other proprietors.
Acland is a farm belonging to Sir Thomas Dyke Acland and was the original seat of his ancient family. The church (Trinity) has a fine tower and six bells and contains several monuments one of which has recumbent effigies of Sir Arthur Acland and his lady, who died in 1610. There was formerly a chapel of St Mary at Herford. The Dean of Exeter is appropriator of the tithes and patron of the perpetual curacy, with that of Swimbridge annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Russell. The tithes were commuted in 1846 for £450. After the death of the present Dean, they will pass to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Wesleyans have a chapel here.
The parish lands and houses have been vested in the poor from an early period and are worth about £60. Out of the income £8 is applied in aid of the school, and the rest is divided among the poor, together with the interest of £100 which arose from fines and gifts.