^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

LANGTREE IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Langtree is a considerable village,3½ miles SW of Great Torrington, and has in its parish, 941 souls and 4028 acres of land, including the hamlets of Stowford and Week.

 

The Trustess of the late Lord Rolle own most of the soil and are lords of the manors of Langtree and Stowford and patrons of the rectory.

 

The Rev. E. H. Furrington BA is the incumbent and has 9 acres of glebe and a small residence. The Church has a tower and five bells and contains several  neat monuments. There was anciently a chapel at Cross hill. The National School, built in 1840, is supported by the rector.

 

RESIDENTS

 

John Bassett,  School master

John Clements, victualler, the Green Dragon

William Claverdon, victualler, the New Inn

William Dark, Clothes dealer

Mr. Gabell

Rev. John Guard, MA, Rectory

James Osborne, corn miller

Capt. Adolphus Slade RN, Week House.

 

BEER HOUSES

William Kivell

John Furnicott

BLACKSMITHS

William Blight

Humphrey Blight

William Thorne

BOOT AND SHOE MANUFACTURERS

James Call

John Palmer

CARPENTERS

Thomas Hadger

Thomas Saunders

John Vanstone

FARMERS

George Ackwill

John Andrews

Isaac Barkwell

William Beer

James Bullivant

Samuel Bullivant

John Bumberry

Samuel Clements

John Copp

William Copp

Henry Copp

Henry Hearn

Thomas Johns

James Ley

John Madge

Humphrey Mallett

Henry Netherway

Robert Saunders

Thomas Symons

John Tucker

John Vanstone

Thomas Ward

George Whitelock

Richard Whitelock

SHOPKEEPERS

James Call

John Ford

John Thorne

TAILORS

John Ford

William Long

John Thorn

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page