^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

LITTLE TORRINGTON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

"LITTLE TORRINGTON,  a pleasant village, nearly 2 miles S. of Great Torrington, has in its parish 588 souls, and 2880 acres of land, including the village of Taddiport, on the south-west side of the river Torridge opposite Great Torrington. The manor of Little Torrington belongs to the Stevens family, and that of Potheridge to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle; but several smaller freeholders have estates here. Cross House, which was long the residence of the Stevens family, is now the pleasant seat of Sir Trevor Wheeler, Bart., whose baronetcy was created in 1660."

 

Cross House, Little Torrington
Cross House -formerly the home of Sir Trevor Wheeler, now,sadly, looking its age. It was built by Henry Stevens of Stevenstone between 1744 and 1748.

 

The church is an ancient structure and the benefice is a rectory and pewter Glubb MA is the incumbent and the patrons of the living are the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle.

 

The Magdalen Lands were anciently part of the endowment  of cottages let  for about £34 a year. there are also 2 acres called Chapel Fields and several gardens which are held by the Rector in return for preaching 12 sermons annually in Taddiport Chapel, which formerly belonged to the Hospital and is now finely mantled in Ivy.

 

This Chapel is kept in repair out of the rents from the Magdalen Lands which belong to Great and Little Torrington and service is performed in it once a fortnight.

 

Taddiport - the Leper's Chapel

The Leper's Chapel at Taddington

©Richard J. Brine

 

The parish school was built in 1840 by Sir Trevor Wheeler and Mrs Stevens.

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page