^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

MARLDON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850.

 

Compton Castle

Compton Castle, Marldon, Nr Paignton

 

Marldon, a small village, 5 miles E.N.E of Totnes, has in its parish 470 souls and 2254 acres of land, including the village of Compton, a mile N by W of the church.  Parkfield House is the pleasant seat of Francis Garrett Esq. who owns a great part of the parish, and, a few years ago, purchased the ancient mansion called Compton Castle, now occupied by his gardener. The castellated house was the seat of Sir Maurice de Pole in the reign of Henry II and it was afterwards held by the Comptons, Gilberts and Templers.

 

The manor of Stanton belongs to Charles H. Mallock Esq; and William Randell Esq. and several small freeholders have estates here.

 

The church is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells and the benefice is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Paignton. The Poor have 1½ acres of land given by an uinknown donor and 6s 8d yearly from Kelly's Gift.

 

RESIDENTS

Richard Adams, smith and shopkeeper

Benjamin Archer, beer seller

Richard Bishop, cider merchant

Thomas Bridgman, victualler, the Royal Oak

Fanny Bussell, corn miller

Francis Garrett Esq, Parkfield House

Robert Lidstone, shopkeeper

Robert Matthews, gardner

John Neck, shoemaker

Samuel Neck, shoemaker

Chalres Palk, butcher

Peter Partridge, victualler, Church House

Willa Rawl, tailor

William Shears, parish clerk

William Smith, wheelwright

Thomas White, mason

Nicholas Youldon, shoemaker

FARMERS

Richard Anthony

John Bond

Jacon Bartlett

John Bowden

William Browse

John Dimond

William Otteway

Thomas Norfthcott

Charles Pook

William Sampson

John KIngdon Upcott

Robert Whiteway

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page