MERTON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850
"MERTON, a neat village near Lord Clinton's park, 7 miles N. by W. of Hatherleigh, has in its parish 763 souls, and 3738 acres of land, including the hamlets of Smithacott and Little Potheridge, and many scattered houses.
Lord Clinton is lord of the manor of Merton, and owner of a great part of the parish. The Trustees of the late Lord Rolle hold the manor of Potheridge, where the Monks were long seated, and where the mansion was rebuilt by Gen. Monk, (Duke of Abemarle,) about 1670, but was mostly pulled down after the death of the Duchess in 1734, though the magnificent stables are still standing.
Archdeacon Stevens, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) is a handsome structure, which was restored and beautified about four years ago. One of the windows is richly emblazoned with stained glass, and a new organ has been erected. The rectory is in the the patronage of Lord Clinton and incumbency of the Rev. J. C. Kempe BA. A neat National School was built by Lord Clinton some four years ago.
Lord Clinton's National School
© Richard J. Brine
Burnett, Alex, steward to Lord Clinton
Down, William, wheelwright and smith
Gordon, John ,shopkeeper
Kempe, Rev. James Cory BA., the Rectory
Lewis, George, victualler, the Malt Scoop
Mills, John, schoolmaster
Smith, Thomas cooper
Stanbury, William Miller. Westmoor
POST OFFICE: at Jeremiah Smith's. Letters despatched