^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

MONKLEIGH IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

"MONKLEIGH, 3 miles W.N.W. of Great Torrington, is a village and parish, containing 699 souls, and 2177 acres of land, formerly belonging to Montacute Priory, in Somersetshire. The Rev. J.T.P. Coffin is now lord of the manor, which was given to his family after the Reformation; but a great part of the parish belongs to Wm. Tardrew, Esq., and John Saltren Willett, Esq.; the former of whom resides at Annery, a fine old mansion which has been much altered and modernized, and was for a long period the seat of the Hankford family. J.S. Willett, Esq., resides at Petticombe, and here are several smaller landowners. Sir Wm. Hankford, who died at Annery, in 1422, is said to have been the Lord Chief Justice who committed Prince Henry to the Tower, for striking him a blow on the bench.

The Church ( St. George) is an ancient structure and the living is a vicarage valued at £180. The Weslyans have a chapel here, built in 1834.

 

Annery House, Monkleigh

Annery House, Monkleigh

Demolished in 1958

See below

 

RESIDENTS

Chapple John, butcher
Cleverdon James, beer seller
Dennis Thomas, wheelwright
Ellis Jas. vict. Hunter's Inn
Martin Henry, corn miller
Padley Rev. C. J. A. curate
Pike Lieut., R.N. Chantry
Rigsby John, vict. Bell
Shute Wm. schoolmaster
Tardrew Wm. Esq. Annery House
Willett Rev. Chas. W., Vicarage
Willett J. S. Esq. Petticombe

FARMERS.

Branton Thos.
Brown James
Coates Richard
Crang Simon
Guard Wm.
Heal Charles
Huxham Thos.
Lack John
Lewis Mrs.
Newcombe Thos.
Newcombe Jas.
Newcombe Eliz.
Peard Sarah
Petherick Daniel

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page