NETHER EXE, a small parish on the banks of the river Exe, 5 miles N. by E. of Exeter, in St.
Thomas union, Exeter county court district, Wonford petty sessional division, Hayridge hundred, Eastern division of the county, Exeter archdeaconry, and Cadbury rural deanery. It had 80 inhabitants (43 males, 37 females) in 1871, living in 16 houses, on 450 acres of land. Christopher Hill, Esq., of Wanstead, Essex, owns the greater part of the parish, and has a shooting box here. The Church is a small, but very ancient, structure, and was thoroughly restored in 1877, when chairs were substituted for the old pews. It has one bell, and contains a handsome font considered to be of very early date. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book . at £8 10s., and now at £80, in the patronage of eight feoffees, under the will of H. Burroughs, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Paul Britton. The poor have £16 a year, left by Miss Hill, and 20s. a year, left by Nicholas Warren ; and the parish sends a poor person to Burroughs Almshouse, at Broadclist,
alternately with Cadbury.
Stoke Canon is the Post Office, and Thorverton the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.