Between 1838 and 1840 a new stone bridge was built and in spite of the nature of its exposed position, remained in use until 1893 when, it was closed again to be completely refurbished. This bridge remained in use until the 1920s but by then the nature of the traffic crossing the river had changed completely. The pedestrians, horses and riders and small carts and wagons of the 19th century had been replaced by cars, lorries and motor buses.
In 1926, an Act of Parliament was passed, enabling widening and strengthening and this was finally completed in 1931 when a new 324 metre-long structure was opened consisting of four concrete-encased girders spanning concrete piers supporting a reinforced concrete deck. After World War 2, traffic increased in volume and individual vehicles carried heaver loads so a weight restriction was imposed.
An examination of the structure in 1998 revealed serious defects affecting the safety of the bridge and the decision was taken to strengthen the fixed spans, widen the carriageway and strengthen the lifting span at the Teignmouth end. Work was finally completed at the end of 2002, and so important had the bridge become to life in the area, that it was open to one-way traffic throughout the whole period of its refurbishment - something of an achievement for the engineers.