This once-famous hotel no longer exists. Its original site, in the very heart of Tiverton at the junction of Fore Street and Bampton Street, is marked by a blue plaque put up by Tiverton's Civic Society on the wall of premises adjacent to W. H. Smith's shop which was also built on the hotel's previous site.
Henry John Temple, better known as Lord Palmerston, had a 30-year relationship with Tiverton as one of the Borough's MPs from 1835 up to his death in 1865. Born in 1784, Palmerston first entered the political arena in 1807 as a Tory but within a few years he had taken up the Liberal cause and it was as a Liberal that he twice held the office of Prime Minister of Great Britain; the first occasion being from February 1855 to February 1858; the second term of office was from June 1859 to the time of his death in October 1865.
This hotel was the hub of Tiverton's election battles and Lord Palmerston gave election addresses to the crowds in the street below on many occasions, always confident that he would be re-elected.