^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

TORBRYAN IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Torbrian is a small village in a woody valley, 4 miles N by E if Totnes amd SSW of newton Abbot. It has in its parish 264 souls and 1450 acres of land, anciently belongint to the baronial family of brian. It nbow belongs to several freeholders, the larges of whom is the Rev. C. Wolston, the patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at  £20 and in 1831 at £330.

 

The Church (Holy Trinity) is an ancient structure with a tower and four bells and a fine old screen. The poor parishioners have 20shillings a year, left by John peter in 1570, out of the tithes of Cornworthy.

 

RESIDENTS

Daniel Boss, cooper

William Harvey, carpenter

Hine, Rev, V, BA, The Rectory

Pawley, Richard, victualler, The Church House

William Rowland, parish Clerk

Wolston, Rev. Christopher, BA, Rector, Tor Newton House

FARMERS

Jeffrey Elliott

Mr. Leafbridge

John Quint

William Sowden

Thomas tripe

John Tapper, miller

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page