^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

UFFCULME IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Uffculme, a decayed market town, in the picturesque valley of the small river Culm, 4 miles NE by N of Cullompton, has in its parish 2011 inhabitants and 6123 acres of land, including the hamlets of Craddock, Ashill, Stonehall and Hayne and many scattered houses.

 

Uffculme had formerly several large woollen and worsted manufactories, and it still has one factory belonging to Fox Brothers & Co of Wellington: a large brewery belonging to Mr W. Furze; several malting houses and three corn mills. Its weekly market has long been nearly obsolete, but it still has three annual fairs, on the Wednesday after Good Friday, June 29th and the 2nd Wednesday in September. John Cogan had a grant for a market and two fairs here, in 1266.

The manors of Uffculme and Hackpen, formerly held by the Douay, Bourchier and Stamford families, were sold in parcels, together with the royalties, to various freeholders before 1712.

 

Benjamin B. Walrond Esq. owns a great part of the parish, and resides at Bradfield Hall, a fine Antique mansion with pleasant grounds, where his family has been seated since the reign of Henry III. This mansion has a wooden Gothic Roof, and on the outside are numerous coats of arms of the Walronds and their alliances. It remains nearly in its original form, and is one of the finest specimens of ancient domestic architecture on the county. Its chapel was taken down many years ago.

 

The other principal freeholders of the parish are John New, Richard Hurley. Richard John Marker and Richard Hall Clarke Esq, the Rev H K Cornish and Messrs C. Venn, W.A. Wood, Wm Wyatt and John Garnsey, some of whom have neat houses here.

 

The Prebend of Uffculme in Salisbury Cathedral is endowed with a house and glebe of 133 acres and rectorial tithes of the parish which were commuted for £431 in 1839. The Rev. Frederick Browning BD of Titchwell, Norfolk is the present Prebendary and has the patronage of the vicarage now in the incumbency  of the Rev. George T. Smith BA who has a good residence, erected by himself at the cost of more than £2000. The Prebendal land and tithes are held by the late Robert Baker Esq.

 

The parish was in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Salisbury, but by the late act for abolishing peculiars it has been place under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Archdeacon of Exeter, except as to probates of wills and administrations over which the Dean still retains jurisdiction.

 

The church (St Mary) is a large and handsome structure and has recently bee restored, enlarged and improved, and the tower and spire rebuilt, at the cost of £3400. A new south aisle was added in 1846. The new tower and spire rise to the  height of 120 feet and the former contains six bells. They were built at the  of R. J. Marker Esq. who also gave the great bell and clock. The interior ahs four pillars and arches of great beauty, of a transition character, between the Early English and Decorative styles and a fine oak screen of the 15th century divides the channel from the nave and aisles, 67 feet in length. The pulpit and reading desk are handsomely carved and the organ is a fine-toned instrument. Most of the windows are in the Perpendicular style, and that at the east end is enriched with coloured glass.

 

The Baptists and independents have meeting houses here. Uffculme free grammar School was founded in 1701 by Nicholas Ayshford who gave £400 for its erection and £800 for its endowment, The school was repaired in 1802 at the cost of £300 and the endowment now consists of £1551 2s 9d  in three per cent reduced annuities, yielding £46 10s 8d per annum of which £40 is paid to the schoolmaster for teaching four free  boys, two of them to be parishioners of Uffculme and the other two of Burlescombe and Holcombe Rogus or one of them.

RESIDENTS

James Baker, schoolmaster

Richard D. Bevan, grocer, draper, surveyor, Insurance agent, Post Master

Thomas Bird, horse trainer

Rev. Thomas William Blackman (Baptist Minister)

Richard Bowerman, solicitor

Samuel Brice, maltster

Francis Broom, tanner

James Burrow, watch and clockmaker

George William Cains, surgeon

Thomas Churley, butcher

James Cook, darper

Charles Cottrell, last and clogmaker

Robert and John Doble, maltsters

Fox Bros & Co, worsted manufacturers

William Furze, maltster and brewer

Richard Hurley Esq. Gaddon House

Rev. Francis Jones MA, Master of the grammar School

Richard John Marker Esq Yondercott House

Henry Morrish jun, registrar and Insurance agent

New, John MD, Esq. Craddock House

Rev William James Newman MA Curate

James Stuart Nott, surgeon

Henry Radford, chair maker

William Salter, beer house

Mrs A Skinner

Rev. george Townsend Smith BA, vicar

Miss H. Smith and Mrs Pearse

Samuel Sparks, manager to Fox Bros

Robert Stoodley, ironmonger

Thomas Sweetland, gentleman

Philip Trott, butcher

William Upcott, woollen manufacturer

CHarles Velas, chandler and maltster

Benjamin Bowden Walrond Esq. Bradfield Hall

Mary Ware, schoolmistress

Francis and William Welland

Rev. Charles Williams (Independent)

William Williams, hair dresser

Willilam Wood, Gentl. Leigh House

Philip Woolcott, brick and tile maker

William Wyatt, Gent. Landside.

INNS & TAVERNS

Commercial, William Hurford, also smith

George, George Tapscott

Half Moon, Ann Bamfield

Lamb, William Wonson

London Inn, Robert Dunster, also shoemaker

Star Inn, Thomas Sparkes.

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page