This pretty building, once a station on the Lynton to Barnstaple railway line, was sold off for use as a private residence in 1935. The flat-roofed building on the left was not part of the original station. Passengers accessed the building through the little gate which can be glimpsed over the flat roof of the annexe.
The station called itself "the most beautiful railway station in England" and had plenty of reason for its claim. Early in 1898 a Thomas Dewfall was appointed as the first station master with a salary of 21 shillings a week, living quarters, coal, light and a uniform of frock coat, waistcoat, cap and two pairs of trousers per annum with 14 days notice on either side. In the opening year of the railway, Sir George Newnes had offered a prize of £5 to the station with the best garden and Thomas Dewfall was the first winner of this prize.At a Board Meeting in April 1898 it was agreed to build a Station Master's cottage in both Bratton Fleming and Chelfham, the cost of each not to exceed £200 but this never happoened.