Salcombe is in the parish of Malborough, is situated on an arm of the sea, which extends hence to Kingsbridge, about 5 miles northward; and is a navigable inlet of great importance to the adjacent places.
The harbour or bay is considered one of the finest in England, and the shipping has increased within the last four years from 40 to 80 sail; the principal exports being corn, cider, etc – and the imports, coal. The parish of Malborough is in the Kingsbridge Union and the resident population in 1831 was 1604.
The inhabitants of Salcombe having been inconvenienced for many years by an inadequate and defective supply of water, a meeting was held on 7 May 1839, Andrew Pinwill Esq of Mount Knowle in the chair, when subscription took place which was applied to the direction of a capacious tank or reservoir at the Spring Head, to hold 150 hogsheads of water with iron main or leading pipes to convey it to and through the town, providing seven public watering places. The living is a Curacy. The Earl of Devon is Lord of the Manor of Salcombe. South of the town is the promontory of Bolt Head.