^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page




Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings





Parish Records




War Memorials



Cottages on Spreyton's main street

Thatched cottages on Spreyton's main street

© Richard J. Brine


SPREYTON is a parish and village on a lofty eminence, about 9 miles E. by N. of Okehampton, and 18 miles W. by N. of Exeter. It is in Okehampton union, and county conrt district, Crockernwell petty sessional division, South Tawton polling district of East Devon, Wonford hundred. Tomes archdeaconry, and Okehampton rural deanery. It had 418 inhabitants (207 males, 211 females) in 1871, living in 79 houses, on 360G acres of land. The manor was held for a long period by the Talbots, whose heiress carried it in marriage to the Kelly family in the reign of Henry VI. Mr. George Gorwyn Lambert lays claim to the manorial rights, but his claim is disputed.

The landowners are Messrs. W. H. Battishill, Samuel Norris, George Caun, John Heathman, George Bartlett, John Baker, Joseph Edwards, John Moon, and the Rev. Robert Hole. Fuidge House, the seat of Samuel Norris, Esq., is a neat cemented structure, and is pleasantly situated.


The Church (St. Michael) is a plain structure, with a handsome tower, containing five bells ; the tower is 72 feet high, and from it, it is said, 30 different parishes can be seen. The font is of granite, with some rude figures carved upon it. The screen was removed about 70 years ago, except a few fragments in the clerk's seat. The chancel is of later date than the nave and aisles, and has upon its roof a long Latin inscription, recording that it was rebuilt by Richard Talbot in 1451. An organ is now used instead of various instruments. The church is approached by an avenue of fine lime trees, and near the entrance is a venerable oak, the decaying trunk of which measures 40 feet in girth at the bottom. The Register dates from 1538. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book. at £10 5s. 8d., and in 1831 at £135, in the patronage of the Rev. W. B. Doveton, and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Francis Hole, M.A., who has a good residence, and 89 acres of glebe. The small tithes were commuted in 1844 for £117 10s. per annum ; the great titlies, £100 3s., belong to various landowners, and were formerly appropriated to Tavistock Abbey. The income of the living was augmented, in 1876, by the Governors of Q.A.B. with the interest of £500.


The School Board was formed on April 3, 1875, and now consists of Messrs. Battishill, Davy, Heathman, Hooper, and Moon. The original gifts to the poor have been purchased by the Charity Commissioners, and those who have not within the year received parochial relief, have annually at Lady-day £12. 00

Letters by foot post, via Bow, which is the nearest Money Order Ofiice.



Battishill, Mr William, Harrington Bush

Battishill Mrs Alicia, Bush house

Brock George, farmer, Coombe

Cole Richard, farmer. South Beer

Davy John, farmer, Fuidge

Delve Samuel, mason

Edwards Joseph. farmer, Holly Coombe

Harvey John, carpenter

Heathman John, farmer. North Beer

Henley Joseph, farmer, Spreyton wood

Hill John, shopkeeper and thatcher

Hill Samuel, blacksmith

Hole Rev Frederick Francis, M.A. vicar. The Vicarage

Honeychurch Thomas, tailor and parish clerk, Crampey

Hooper John, farmer. Coffins

Hoskins Miss Fanny, Board School mistress

Howard John, machinist

Howard Thomas, farmer, Falkadon

Isaac William, farmer, butcher, and victualler. White Hart

Lewis Frederick, carpenter & shopkpr

Moon John, farmer, Bowbeer

Rowe Wm. Squire, farmer, Nethercott

Saunders William, farrier

Shillson William Hill, farmer, Barton

Tancock George, mason, St. Cherries

Tucker John, farmer. Week

White James, farmer, Paddicombe Park


^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page