Stentaford on the Map

Home Up Contents Search

 

At the very end of the 18th century, the decision was taken to survey the whole of England with a view to creating an accurate map and work began in Devon in 1795. With the coming of electrotype printing in the 1850s, maps showing a wealth of detail, even of such isolated and desolate areas as Dartmoor, became generally available. And here, tucked away on the Western edge of the moor, to the south of Tavistock, is STENTAFORD, the land and property which William leased from John Smerdon, nearly four centuries before this map was made. (Click for a larger scale view)

Click map for a larger scale view

 

This later 19th century map shows the footpath to the north of the property by which it is accessed. At this time, a footbridge was in place across the stream which lies to the south of the property, giving access on this side as well. 

Click here for a modern day view.

 

Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd and Ordnance Survey.

Back

 

Send mail to webmaster@stentiford.org  with questions or comments about this web site.
  Last modified:
30/09/2005